In celebration of Black History Month 2020, the Law Library has compiled the following links to UW and Madison community events and resources:
UW Law School and Library Resources
- Law Library Black History Month Display
Check out the new display case highlighting
Black History Month, just outside the Quarles and Brady
- 5 Easy Ways to Research Black History in HeinOnline this Month
This HeinOnline blog post summarizes five resources related to Black History Month,
each of which you can access via the Law Library's HeinOnline Contents
- African American History Maker: Vel Philips
Wisconsin Historical Society short video about the UW Law School's first African American female
- Black Law Students Association - UW Law School
Information about the organization and upcoming events.
UW Departments, Organizations, and Resources
- Black History in Wisconsin
From the Wisconsin State Historical Society. A historical essay with links to images
of significant documents covering African American history in Wisconsin from the
18th century through through the 20th century.
- College Library Ethnic Studies Collection
Scroll down to "Ethnic Studies" for description of collection and UW
- Department of Afro-American Studies, UW-Madison
Information about the department, course descriptions, and other resources.
- UW Division of Diversity, Equity and Educational Achievement
Descriptions of units, policies, programs and initiatives, and links to relevant resources.
- Wisconsin Black Student Union
Information about the organization, news, community events, and more.
Other Local Events and Programs
- Black Culture Connection -- Wisconsin Public Television 2020
Links to films and stories centered on Black history and culture. Includes
links to WPT programs, present and past, including the MLK tribute at
the Capitol building in Madison, on Jan. 20th, 2020.
- Dreaming in Ethnic Melodies: Black History Education Conference 2020
Conference sponsored by Edgewood college and the Wisconsin State Historical Society.
Conference will emphasize social and emotion learning, as well as universal literacy intruction.
- Black History Month 2020 - UW
Complete Calendar of events related to this year's theme: Afrofuturism: B(l)ack to the Future.
- Black History Month Open House, 2020
Programs and Exhibits highlighting the history of African Americans- Wisconsin State Historical Society,
Friday Feb. 21.
- Madison Public Library, Black History Month
See the special exhibits and events celebrating Black History Month at Goodman South Madison Library.
Submitted by Sunil Rao, on February 11, 2020
This article appears in the categories: Law Library